Skip to content

City of Stafford House Fire – Extensive Loss

September 10, 2012

Union Street neighbors said they smelled the faint odor of smoke since mid-morning. At one thirty in the afternoon one of those neighbors – Scott Pfortmiller – finally identified the source of that smell. The house two doors south of his – 226 S. Union – was on fire.

Firefighters arrived to find moderate smoke emitting from the two-story home’s attic windows and eaves. A positive pressure fan was placed at the front door and hose lines were positioned at the front and rear of the home. Two firefighters donned their full firefighting ensemble and entered the front door.

The firefighters quickly found flames rolling up the stairs towards the second floor. They attacked and extinguished that fire, unaware the seat of the was fire was under them, in a first floor room.

The first floor fire was identified by another firefighter who directed the two-person crew towards it. That fire too was efficiently extinguished.

The fire completely consumed the room of origin including the floor beneath it. The fire also caused heavy damage to the walls running up the stairway. The entire contents of the home suffered smoke and heat damage.

Owner Rodney Dickson and his wife live at the home and were last there at around 10:30 a.m. Loss is estimated at over $100,000 to structure and contents. The home and contents are insured.

Because of the way these older homes are constructed they can be extremely challenging to fight when on fire. Firefighters did an incredible job of minimizing the loss.

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. Megan permalink
    September 10, 2012 1:29 am

    Wow! What a devastating thing to go through. Thank goodness they were safe, and thanks to an amazing fire crew who risked their lives to try and save the home and it’s belongings. I know slightly what it’s like since the duplex I was renting caught fire this summer due to the neighbor tossing out BBQ briquettes. Watching the firefighters rush in without hesitation was a chilling experience. All of my things have been cleaned from the smoke and water damage and are in a warehouse for me to go through, but this home seems to have lost more than just cost of cleaning companies and some lost valuables. The road ahead for this couple will be tough and filled with decisions and headaches one can’t understand without having gone through it. I will be praying for this family and hoping for the best. God Bless. ~Megan

  2. Megan permalink
    September 10, 2012 1:31 am

    *its belongings
    I can’t leave a mistake when I teach grammar! 🙂

  3. Anonymous permalink
    September 10, 2012 2:30 am

    Thanks – an old fire chief that didn’t pay close attention in school. You probably have little versions of me in your classes!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: