Skip to content

Girls Gone Wild

November 18, 2011

“Girls Gone Wild” is a video series that involves catching women in compromising situations. Typically, the women are having a good time in a public place when those good times go bad. A little too much of this and a little too much of that leads the women to perform acts that aren’t some of their prouder moments.

The concept of going from best to worst sounds a lot like something else in America – Capitalism.

For a long time America has been “having a good time.” Then, a little too much of this and a little too much of that brought us to where we are today. Let’s look at a couple examples.

Occupy Wall Street is about how the greed of 1% of the American population has affected the other 99%. Capitalism works great when all the proper components are in place. It doesn’t work well when those components are skewed in favor of 1%.

The business of college sports is another example. Coach salaries in college sports have skyrocketed during one of the worst economic times in American history. The missing component here is employee wages. The sky is the limit for salary levels when the only salaries you have to pay are a few coaches.

So, how does “Capitalism Gone Wild” affect us in the emergency service?

If you don’t have the money, you’ll hold off going to the doctor. People will wait until it’s too late to get to the hospital on their own. These will be some mighty sick folks by the time emergency responders see them.

If you don’t have the money, you won’t be able to make your payments. You might resort to a reprehensible act – arson – if there’s no buyer for your unaffordable car or house.

If you don’t have the money, the stress might push you to a career field that always has openings – criminal.

Unfortunately, all this simple-minded Fire Chief can do is to point out the results of the “gone wild behavior.” It takes the insight of the experts who caused the problem, to fix the problem. But, I would remind those experts of a simple quote by an unknown author – “It’s easier to prevent then to cure.”

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. September 10, 2013 8:51 am

    I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?

    Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare
    to see a great blog like this one nowadays.

    • September 12, 2013 12:21 am

      Thank you for the comment. The blog is not a paid theme. I serve as the Emergency Service Director (overseeing fire, ambulance, emergency management) for an entire rural Kansas community. Our media is almost non-existent – a weekly newspaper. So, if the stories of the on-scene emergencies is going to be told, then I have to do it. I mix in some other stories when the emergencies are running slow. I appreciate your kind comments. Steve Moody > Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:51:51 +0000 > To: chiefmoody55@hotmail.com >

  2. January 2, 2014 9:58 am

    I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted at this web site is in
    fact fastidious.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: